09 Sep

Immigration Citizenship and Refugees Canada has announced that it is testing a  new online application for some permanent immigration programs including sponsoring a spouse or a child to come to Canada. Those interested can start the application process by making an online account on the permanent residents portal. 

Who is eligible to sponsor a child or a spouse to Canada

  • To be at least 18 years old

  • To be Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act

  • Not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • Must commit to financially provide  of the persons you are sponsoring for a period of time.

In most cases, there isn’t an income requirement to sponsor your spouse or partner or dependent child. You only need to show that you have enough money to meet the income requirements in certain exceptions.  

How to apply

There are 2 applications to for those interested to sponsor a spouse, partner or child

  1. You must apply to become a sponsor.
  2. Your spouse, partner or child must apply for permanent residence.

Both applications should be sent together at the same time.In case you want to sponsor an adopted child or an orphaned family member, you should follow these instructions instead. The steps of sponsoring a family member is 1-Acquiring the application kit, including a list of documents that need to be submitted. 2-Paying the application fees including the processing and the right of permanent residence fees. 3-Submitting the application by mail or online4-In case you need it , you can send additional information during processing.  

* The email will not be published on the website.